YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH?
Posted on October 17, 2014 by pastorwilf
A line out of one of my favorite movies. I want the truth! You can’t handle the truth! Actually, many who seem to be so good at giving TRUTH, can’t take TRUTH. Truth would involve facing the man in the mirror, and many people can’t handle that. I can come up with a few reasons why we can’t handle the truth. Things like fear, embarrassment, shame, fear of exposure, and even pride, help us to avoid the truth rather than face it. Avoiding, ignoring, and scapegoating the truth, will not make it go away. Truth will still be truth in the morning. Truth has no expiration date. Truth travels. Wherever you go, truth goes with you. The best thing I can tell you to do with truth is FACE IT and EMBRACE IT.
I know somebody is saying, “You don’t know what my truth is.” To actually see how in debt you really are, could be very scary. To look in the mirror, and recognize how out of control you really are, can be embarrassing. To actually accept the fact that you are unfaithful, lazy, critical, and the problem, can be a bit devastating. In spite of our fears and anxiety ,about the truth, there is no reason not to face it.
If truth is a pill or medicine to swallow, then let me offer some sweetness to go with the after taste of truth.
1. CRY (if you must) – Go ahead and let it out! Yes it’s messed up, so go ahead and cry! The question, “How in the world did I get myself in this mess or mess again, might very well merit a cry. Whatever you do, cry and get it over with. We have work to do. Don’t hold it in, let it out. We can’t work and cry at the same time. You can’t have tears in public, or tears on the paperwork. We must represent God well.
2. CONFRONT courageously – You cannot conquer what you do not confront. Take a deep breath and confront. Turn to it and get to it. Goliath would never have been defeated, if he had not been confronted. Stop avoiding that bill collector, the doctor, your boss, your loved one. Courageously Confront means to do it with confidence and faith, in an all powerful God. If God can’t do it, it can’t be done.
3. CALL for Help- You are not alone. Somebody is available to help you. There are people who are gifted and equipped to fix foul ups. Stop trying to do it yourself. There are people available to get your through the sticking points of life. Open your mouth and ask for help. There are financial counselors, fitness trainers, lawyers, and others, who are skilled in the crisis you are struggling with. There are people who specialize in situations exactly like yours. Get some help.
4. CHOP away at it – Strategically work on it, bit by bit, and piece by piece.
You didn’t mess it up overnight, and it won’t be repaired overnight. Calm down, and exercise some patience.
5. COMPENSATE – Someone may disagree, but I believe professionals should be paid. If a person takes the time to help correct, fix, and repair something for you, I think that is worthy of gratitude in a monetary way. It’s surprising how some people want miracles for free.
6. CELEBRATE every victory along the journey!! Don’t wait until you are totally free and delivered before you celebrate. Party on every plateau, shout each and every step. The journey is just as important as the destination. Learn lessons and make memories along the way.
7. CARVE out a path for others to escape!!! The path you take to deliverance, could be the path that others need to be saved. Don’t be so selfish! If someone helped you, then help someone else. Sharing works.
You can handle truth with God’s help!